It is situated in the historic border town of Oswestry in England, which is where the Cambrian Railways Company chose to site its headquarters. Housed in a former goods depot constructed in the 1860’s, it tells something of the history of a railway system that in its heyday extended to almost 300 route miles largely in Wales, stretching from Whitchurch in the east to Aberystwyth in the west and from Pwllheli in the north to Brecon in the south.
Besides numerous photographs, signs, lamps and signal box fittings, the collection includes a huge miscellany of unusual items, ranging from a G.W.R. pen nib, to the headboard first used on the Royal Train when the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) visited Aberystwyth in 1896 for installation as Chancellor of the University.
Significant in 2014, the centenary of the onset of WW1, we have commissioned the conservation of the Roll of Honour published as early as 1915 which lists the men of the Cambrian known to be serving in uniform.